Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Thursday 10 May 2012

The Worst Part

The worst part of fostering, the stuff that makes me want to quit, is not the kids and their crazy behaviors. It's the system. It's so broken. Broken to a point that feels like it is completely beyond repair. It is a system that often feels like it is actively hurting the same children it was put in place to help. And I'm a part of it. I'm regularly asked to go along with bad decisions that hurt the children in my care, children that I have been asked to care for, love, keep safe, and make a part of my family. What a ridiculous system.


Molly, who I talked about here, will be turning 5 yo tomorrow. She will also be dropped off at daycare in the morning as she is many mornings, picked up by her Parent Aide as she is every Friday for a visit with her dad. Only tomorrow, her parent aide will not be bringing her home as she usually does. Instead, she will drive her to a new home, with new parents, new siblings, new rules, new surroundings, new schools where she will live until the next time CPS chooses to move her. The reason for this move is to be placed with her brother.


We will not be permitted to meet with the new family to give Molly some continuity, to give the family info about Molly and her needs, likes, routines etc. We will not be permitted to even share this info by phone. We will not be permitted to bring Molly's belongings to the new house and Molly will not be given a chance to say goodbye to the girls she has lived with for nearly 8 mos who have become her sisters or the people who have fed her, clothed her, loved her, kept her safe and have become her second set of parents. She will also not be permitted to see us or even call us once she's moved.


Why? Surely there is a good reason for such an unfortunate move. The truth is, we aren't being told why and the more we ask to help make her transition to her new home easier, the more resistance we encounter, the more we ask "why?" aren't we being allowed to do the very thing CPS claims they want foster families to do, the more the case manager digs in her heels.


And, lest you think this is a rare, unfortunate occurrence, I'm here to tell you it's not. Has our family perhaps done something to warrant this decision making by CPS? Maybe there is good reason not to allow future contact. There's not. There is no good reason. The sad reality is, CPS often struggles with power. CPS case managers are scrutinized for their decisions, they encounter angry birth parents regularly, they are admonished by judges for not doing enough, they have high case loads and a stressful job. And unfortunately, that combination sometimes (and really, when I say sometimes, I mean most of the time) makes for a person on a power trip, a person that refuses to be questioned in any way or consider that there may be a different way to do things.


You know what's hard about doing what's best for the child? It takes more time than just doing whatever works best in your schedule. It requires you to really listen to other members of the team, gather information and take your time in making decisions. It requires you to set aside the pressing matter before you to really think about what the child is experiencing. How many times have I seen a case manager do this? Not many. Sadly, not many.


Of all the things CPS case managers are required to do, the most important is doing what's best for the child. Of all the things CPS is required to do, what do they seem to do the least well? What's best for the child.


Today is a sad day for me where I am struggling to see the good in this situation. I am wrestling with the notion that I may not be fighting this bad decision hard enough. I have learned to fight CPS is to dig your own grave. It doesn't go well. Ever. So, I not only have to sit and let this happen, I have to be an active participant in it. This is the part of fostering that makes people want to give up.

8 comments:

  1. We live in a different country than you and our system is just as broken. How heart wrenching for your family and for your precious little one. We have experienced the same ridiculous moves a couple of times. Zero contact. Zero questions answered. zero common sense. sorry :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy cow, that is awful! You're right, it doesn't make sense at all. Have you tried going through the Guardian Ad Litem to try to get to stay in contact? When I know there is something really wrong going on in a case and the caseworker won't listen, I go through all the other people involved in the case.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh jessica, my heart breaks for molly and your family. it makes me hate, truly hate this system that is supposed to protect children. I know that feeling of being torn, about fighting, how hard to fight, and what are the ramifications etc. I consulted with a former CASA who is an attorney about our current case and she gave me some great advice, helped me compose a letter to send to the AG and the Judge, in addition to the GAL and CPS. She said it is what she would've done on this case as a CASA. And it is similar in the fact of the potential move of a child to be with a sibling not being in the child's best interest (or even legally warranted). But in your case, the way it is being done is also unacceptable. I would fight. even if you don't get her back. this is just not fair to do to an already traumatized girl. it sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grr...I posted yesterday and it is not showing up. What I said was something along the lines of: I am so sorry. You are one of the best. Her life story will always be different because you have sown Christ into it. And I quoted your word of the week: "Well done, good and faithful servant." You are in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How frustrating!! :-( Your family and Molly will be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We worked with CPS and then moved our case over to Casey Families. Working directly with CPS was horrible. Casey Families has their own CPS Liaison and the whole process is very seamless and easy. We have not had problems with services, reimbursements, clothing allowance, etc since we made the switch. We have not had any kids moved (we still have the original kids after 1 year), but our case manager is very communicative and pleasant to work with. I hope I never have to work directly with CPS again. If any of you look into it, Casey Families only does older children (ages 11-18) and/or sibling groups. They try to get kids back out of the system as quickly as possible (especially for the older kiddos).

    ReplyDelete