Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Thursday 29 November 2012

Therapy, part II


Since my last post on therapy, Dusty has now had one therapy session. Next week, she will have been in our home 8 mos and she had her first appointment yesterday. How's that for efficiency?

The good news: The people I have talked to that are familiar with this therapist say she is great (that was maybe 2 people). In my intake meeting with her she requested that Dusty not be present b/c we would be discussing many things she should not hear. This seems like duh common sense, but she is the first therapist I've ever worked with that seems to get that. In other intakes, the therpaist is asking me to talk about the child's history, their trauma, their bio parents' issues, their current behavioral issues - all while the child plays in the room next to us and pretends not to be listening or aware of anything we are saying. But they hear it ALL! And a therapist should know that. So, she earns points for that one from me.

Another good thing is she seems to understand trauma and how kids will play out their trauma as a way of processing it and coping with it.

Now for the not-so-good news:

In the intake, I asked if I would be present during the sessions. She said "no". I asked if we would talk after the sessions to discuss what is happening in them and things I should be working on with her at home. She said she was not able to discuss specifics with me about what goes on in the sessions, but could tell me if she had a particularly emotional session or if she had a hard time etc.

I have a problem with this. A BIG problem with this. But, I also know this is standard and my raising an issue only makes me seem weird.

Let me walk you through how yesterday went. Imagine this is your child.

We arrive at the counseling center (a place that Dusty has never been to before), we go into the "lobby" (I use that term loosely, the lobby is a very small room (think large closet)with a few charis, a table w/some coloring books and crayons), there is no one in the lobby, there is no receptionist or anyone to check in with or let know you have arrived. There is a sign on the door that says to wait there and someone will come get you. The therapist (who Dusty has never met before) opens the door, stands in the doorway and says "are you ready?" Dusty walks back into a room with her. I stay in the "lobby". About 30min later, she opens the door and Dusty comes out. The therapist says "She did good. See you next week".

Now, remember I said, pretend this is your child. Would you be ok with this? I know that I would never have done this to my bio kids. NEVER!

If I felt my child needed therapy it would be because they had probably suffered some trauma. As their mom, I'd want the help of a therapist the help me help my kids to process it. I would want to be there to assure my child that this person is safe and that I trust them. I would want to be there so that when my child did begin to process their trauma and experience big emotions as a result, I would be there as their mom to comfort them, support them, love them. I would want to be in the room at all times because there is absolutely NO reason for this therapist to develop a private relationship with my child. The therapist is simply a tool our family is using to cope with difficulties.

Now, let's consider foster children:

1. They have tons of confusion about who is safe and can be trusted.
2. They often will go off with anyone and have difficulty discriminating roles of people (particularly understanding the role of primary caretaker).
3. Therapists come and go like (I can't think of a funny cliche here for things that come and go - so enter your own), so working on getting a child to trust a specific therapist only to leave them and get a new therapist - bad idea!
4. Therapists only see this child 1 x per week - the goal should be to empower the family with the skills to work through the issues the other 6 days of the week.

Let's not take this issue of stranger danger too lightly here.


With all of our placements (and respite kids), we have had issues with an inability to distinguish between people they know well and trust and any random person that approaches them and calls them cute. Every. One. Of. Them. It's not a small problem, it's a pervasive problem.

In a child that is well adjusted and has a secure attachment, there will be some hesitation to being approached by strangers or even people they have met before, but are only casual acquaintances of their parents. There is a clear distinction between who you go to when you are sad and need comfort, when you scraped your knee, when you need to go to the bathroom. It's not normal for kids to just ask the nearest adult to help them with these things. But kids in foster care do. Not only do they do that, but they will intentionally seek out adults other than their parents. When my children were young and a stranger talked to them, they may avert their eyes, lower their head, move closer to me, take a step back from the stranger (all things that signal "I don't know you, I am being cautious of you"). I LOVE when my kids do that. Love it! I know some people have real issues with shyness in their children and work hard to help them to get over it. And I get that too. And if we are talking about kids that have grown up in healthy homes and have secure attachments with their primary caregivers, then that's ok. But for kids in foster care, we should rejoice over "shyness". It's good. It's progress.

Now, if I had taken one of my kids to see a therapist, pulled up to a strange building, sat in a strange room, asked them to walk through a door with a stranger while I stay back in the other room, we would have had some serious protesting (probably screaming and crying as though they were being abducted). In fact, just the therapist approaching and talking to them would have elicited something like this:


Had Dusty behaved as though she were uncomfortable going off with this strange lady, I'm sure she would have had me sit in on the session until she was more comfortable. But the fact that she willingly went should be a red flag to the therapist. And we should not exploit this child's disorder/issue (whatever you want to call it) by asking them to do something, that if not for their issues, they would not do. Essentially, therapists working with the most vulnerable children (those in CPS custody) are exploiting their unhealthy attachments and further encouraging unhealthy behavior. Wonderful!






4 comments:

  1. I would totally fight to be in on the session! The few short visits alone with this stranger, no matter how good a therapist she is, will make no difference in this child's life if their primary caregiver isn't reinforcing the new skills/affirmations they are learning.
    I TOTALLY agree with you. This is wrong in several ways. Fight it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree absolutely. Our children's first therapist always had us in the room. Our children were in a foster-adoptive placement with us and we were working on attachment. Now, post adoption and years into therapy with another trauma therapist, my child go into their sessions without me most of the time, but the therapist and I talk extensively about what is going on with each of them and work as a partnership to help our children survive what they have been through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So broken.
    I too live in Mesa, and the system is broken. We've had our fosters for 21 months. When we were in training they were adamant severance would happen in 6 months because the infant was involved and the sibling group goes together. Wrong.

    My 3 are in therapy as well and I was allowed to go into the therapy session the first 2 times. One therapist didn't really want me to, but I went anyways. These children are my responsibility, I wouldn't do that to my bio kids, I went.

    The good news is the CFT's are great for getting the answers to the questions that they won't answer in the lobby. I love my CFT time.

    ReplyDelete